Recent Tweets in the eMotion Cafe

Saturday, February 19, 2005

A Noiseless Patient Spider - Walt Whitman

This was the second poem I memorized, when I was seventeen. More about that, later. Looking back, I understand why I connected with this poem then... as it really speaks to the need to connect with others in a meaningful way and the consumption that often occurs as a result of the connections we have with others. I probably understood the first part of that during that time. Looking back, I see other implications of the connections me make more clearly.

Anyways, I'll share:

| A Noiseless Patient Spider |

A noiseless patient spider,
I marked where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
Marked how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
It launched forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.

And you O my soul where you stand,
Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
Till the bridge you will need be formed, till the ductile anchor hold,
Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.

| A Noiseless Patient Spider | Leaves of Grass | 1900 | Walt Whitman |

No comments: